Skip to main content

[Thoughts] How I would fix Nintendo online's expansion pack


The expansion pack for Nintendo's online subscription is quite lack lustre as it stands

source: www.nintendo.co.uk

Ever since Nintendo has started making people pay for online I have been a member of the subscription. This is because of games such as Splatoon and Smash bros. Over the years Nintendo has added more to the normal subscription with the addition of select NES, SNES and Game boy games being playable on downloadable apps. These were interesting at first but with them releasing games very sparsely I quickly lost interest in that aspect of it. So, again, I just simply stayed subscribed to play my games online. 

In 2021 Nintendo decided to introduce a new tier to the online subscription called the "Expansion Pack". This new tier allowed you to gain access to some N64 games and the Animal Crossing DLC. While this is a step up in offerings, this pack costs around double the normal subscription just for a few N64 games and the Animal Crossing DLC. Since 2021 Nintendo has added both game boy advance and Mega Drive games to this expansion pack as well as the Mario Kart 8 DLC and Splatoon 2 octo expansion. Even with these I still don't think it's worth it. By the time they added the Splatoon DLC most people would have already bought it. The Mario Kart DLC is decent but with it covering two years with it's content it means you would need to subscribe for 2 years to play all the content rather than just making a one off payment. The Mega Drive and Game Boy Advance games suffered the same issues as the other game apps, where they have not been getting updated frequently enough with substantial titles. 

So, how would I fix it? I can think of three things that would immediately get me more interested in this service. Firstly, I would speed up the rate of which new games are added to the respective apps, at the moment we are lucky to get a few every month or two. Next, I would add all, yes all, DLC to the subscription, or at least all first party DLC to it. On top of this I would add DLC day one to the service, this would build on the unique thing about this service compared to other ones in the industry. Lastly, I would have more game trails. Game trails are something I didn't mention earlier as they are that forgettable, but they give you the full game for a set amount of time. I would increase the frequency of these trails, because at the moment they are very rare. To balance this I would put a limit on how much game time the player gets. This is because on one of the game trails for Mario Tennis I completed the whole story and found no value in then getting the game. It's meant to be a "trail" not the full game.

Source: www.keengamer.com

With these changes I would consider buying the subscription much more than I do currently. The subscriptions by Xbox and PlayStation are so much better than what Nintendo offers and doing these I feel would put it up to the same level. Hopefully, with the next console, Nintendo iterates on this subscription based system as it really needs some adjusting. 

That's it for this blog, stay connected!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Review] God of War (2018)

A near godly experience made slightly mortal by one glaring issue source:  www.playstation.com ~ Intro ~ God of War (2018) is a 3rd person action game made by Santa Monica Studio. The game is currently available on both PS4 and PC. This title is sort of a reboot of the series with it taking a different direction from the traditional hack and slash formula of the original God of War games. I haven't played any of the other God of War games so this has been my introduction into the series. I have wanted try this series for a while, as I have seen good things about it. So, starting with this reboot felt like a great entry point. With that said though, let's get into my thoughts. ~ Positives ~ let's go over the positives first. To start with, the story of the game is good. This game's story is all about fulfilling a last wish, though there are many road blocks the main characters must face along the way. As I was playing I found myself intrigued to find out what would happe

[News] Mario Party 3 Is Coming To Switch Online!

  Another game for switch online is coming soon  source:  twitter.com/NintendoUK Over on Twitter, Nintendo have just announced that  Mario Party 3 is coming to switch online. This game is a N64 game so it will be available on the N64 app. This does mean you will need the Switch Online Expansion Pack to play it. The update with this game will drop on the 27th of October.  Mario Party 3 is a great addition to the line up. The fact that it will have online co-op is a big change. Essentially though, Mario Party is about moving your character around a board with dice rolls, with the aim of collecting Stars. The player with the most stars at the end wins, it really is that simple. The most fun aspects to Mario Party games though are the mini games. Mario Party 3 offers a total of 71 mini games for players to enjoy. Something to note about this game as well, is that, it was the first Mario Party game to feature a story mode. Make sure you give this a try too it's a good way to practice th

[News] Ys X: Nordics Coming Overseas This Year!

This is very exciting news for Ys fans source: twitter.com/NISAinEurope Over on Twitter, NISA Europe have just announced that Ys X will be coming West this year . Specifically, they have stated that we can expect to be playing this new instalment of the Ys series in Autumn . The exact release date though is unknown. A limited Edition will also be available, though the details of this are also  unknown. Pre-orders are not up yet and there is no word on when they will go up yet, but we can expect it sometime soon. A small announcement trailer has also launched on Youtube with some clips of the game. You can view that here . When I first saw this tweet I had to triple check I was reading the date right. The previous Ys game took 2 years for it to come west. This is more inline with Ys 8. I am personally so excited for this, 2024 didn't have too many games for me but this is a huge one for me and I am very grateful. The game looks absolutely amazing and I am sure it will live up to my